For Graduate Students
The Texas Hearing Institute Doctor of Audiology Externship Program provides Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) externs a variety of clinical experiences and mentoring from a team of eight audiologists, with several being certificate holders of audiology preceptor (CH-AP), so they can develop the skills necessary for a career as a pediatric audiologist.
For more information about the externship and how to apply, click here
Please fill out this form if you have any questions.
Texas Hearing Institute’s university training program establishes and develops relationships with local universities in order to train future professionals who will work with children with hearing loss in the fields of speech-language pathology, audiology, and oral deaf education.
We work closely with undergraduate and graduate students to provide training experiences and knowledge of auditory-verbal therapy techniques and practices. We currently work with universities from across the nation. Here are a few of the universities we have worked with in the past.
- Abilene Christian University
- Columbia University
- Emmerson College
- Lamar University
- New York University
- University of A&M Kingsville
- University of Houston
- University of Southern Mississippi
- Utah State University
- Vanderbilt University
By the end of a graduate student’s experience at Texas Hearing Institute, they will:
- Have an understanding of normal speech/language development, hearing technology, and the development of a listening function
- Write lesson plans for students with hearing loss
- Conduct supervised speech therapy sessions with clients and their parents
- Take notes regarding a child’s progress during therapy sessions
- Discuss future goals for patients
- Administer comprehensive audition, language, and speech evaluations
We also serve as an observation site for university undergraduate students. We provide one of the only opportunities for students in the Houston area to observe therapy and classes with children with hearing loss
Prospective students click here!
Texas Hearing Institute also offers Education Administration and Volunteer Management internships to qualified candidates. If you are interested in these demanding yet rewarding opportunities, please e-mail your resume and a brief cover letter to Amy Cantu at email@example.com.