For Older Children and Teens
Our teen leadership program, known as Project L.E.A.D., is an exciting opportunity for youth 11 to 18 years old. Our teen leaders learn to advocate for themselves, communicate professionally, collaborate with peers and mentors, complete self-directed tasks, and act as role models for our younger patients.
Participants in this program complete four training modules and gain 15 hours of volunteer experience.
Project L.E.A.D. graduates will have the opportunity to volunteer in our summer camp, known as Project T.A.L.K.
Youth 11 to 16 years old who have a diagnosed hearing loss and utilize spoken language as their primary mode of communication.
Applications must be submitted. For information regarding this year’s deadline, email email@example.com.
Requirements to Graduate?
- Complete at least three of the four training modules
- Submit a resume and cover letter to Texas Hearing Institute staff for review after you receive training for it in Module 3
- Participate in an interview with Texas Hearing Institute staff member(s) as part of Module 4
- Complete 15 volunteer hours at Texas Hearing Institute or another approved organization
- Attend at least one Buddies at Texas Hearing event
All graduates of Project L.E.A.D. will be eligible to volunteer at Project T.A.L.K. in subsequent years.
To be eligible to volunteer for Project T.A.L.K.:
- All students between the ages of 11 and 16 must be participating in Project L.E.A.D. or a graduate of Project L.E.A.D.
- Due to space limitations, not all current participants of Project L.E.A.D. will be able to volunteer for Project T.A.L.K. If not selected for one of the eight volunteer positions, other volunteer opportunities will be provided to complete the necessary requirements to graduate.
- The requirements to volunteer at camp are:
- Completion of three of four training modules
- Review of resume and cover letter submitted to Texas Hearing Institute staff following completion of Module 3
- Interview with Texas Hearing Institute staff member(s)
- Must be available to volunteer at least one full day during camp prep and five full days of camp. For information regarding this year’s dates, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your child is interested in Project L.E.A.D., please return the application, which can be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com or by mail to 3100 Shenandoah St., Houston, TX 77021 ATTN: Daena Busby.
Applications should be completed by the child applying, with assistance from his/her parents if needed. Please contact us if you have any questions about the program or the application process.